Match Report: Redcar Athletic Under-23s 1-1 Thornaby Roundel

Thornaby Roundel win 9-8 on penalties.

Picture of Mark Hathaway

Mark Hathaway

Redcar Athletic Under-23s coach

Redcar Athletic Under-23s suffered penalty heartbreak in the semifinals of the County Cup, in a game where they had enough chances to win in 90 minutes.

After a tight opening quarter of an hour, Athletic had the first sight of goal on 18 minutes, when Charlie Longster (sponsored by Brendon Garage) found Tom Newton (sponsored by Nails by Caitlyn), who saw his shot saved by the Roundel keeper.

On 22 minutes Athletic took a deserved lead when Ethan Cartwright (sponsored by Facades) played a lovely ball down the line to Ste Sullivan, who showed delightful skill to bamboozle his marker and cross to Jack Williams (sponsored by MeSign), who swept the ball home with a first time finish.

Redcar were well on top and could have made it 2-0 on 28 minutes when Matthew Bage and Ste Sullivan exchanged passes, with the former shooting just wide.

On 34 minutes, Athletic had two good chances within seconds, first Tom Newton had a shot saved, then Jack Williams had a shot blocked.

It should have been 2-0 on 37 minutes when Ste Sullivan played an excellent ball to Tom Newton, but the Roundel keeper smothered the shot.

There was an even better chance on 42 minutes when Charlie Longster saw his shot saved, and Tom Newton put the rebound over the bar.

The second half was much tighter and, despite having a lot of possession, Athletic found it tougher to create chances.

The away side drew level when a long ball forward was allowed to bounce, and the Roundel player finished well, lifting the ball over Emrah Isik (sponsored by John Ibinson).

Substitute Cam Thomson had a chance to give Athletic the lead, but his shot went just wide.

Athletic had a claim for a penalty as the game entered the last 10 minutes when David Bradley went down, but the referee was unmoved.

With no further chances, it was on to the lottery of penalties.

Each team scored their first three, but Thornaby Roundel scored their fourth, and Athletic missed.

The Roundel would have won had they scored their final penalty, but Emrah Isik saved well, and Cam Thomson scored to take the game to sudden death.

Both teams scored their next four, but Roundel scored their 10th, and Athletic missed theirs, sending the Roundel into the final, sparking scenes of celebration from the players, management and supporters.

Man of the Match: Jack Williams (sponsored by MeSign)

It’s back to league action for the young Steelmen, who next host Lingfield AFC, today credited with stripping an unbeaten record off league-leaders Myton House Farm.


Luxury holiday homes and experts in holiday home management