You are currently viewing Whitley Bay vs Redcar Athletic

Whitley Bay vs Redcar Athletic



Whitley Bay handed the Steelmen their second league defeat of the season, after a hard-fought, physical contest at Hillheads Park finished 3-2.

Isaac Walker struck Redcar into the lead in the opening exchanges, with the hosts netting twice to gain control by the interval, adding a third in the dying stages of the second period to ensure substitute Owen Clarkson’s late strike was merely a consolation.

Steve Connolly was forced into making two changes to the team sheet following Tuesday night’s home draw with Newton Aycliffe, with Connor Smith starting in the absence of Matty Garbutt, whilst York City loanee Ben Dale took his place amongst the substitutes.

The match began as a tight, cagey affair, with the Steelmen the first side to assert any control after taking the lead in the 12th minute. To no surprise, it was Isaac Walker who found the net, regaining possession high up the pitch, driving into the area, and finishing tidily into the bottom right corner.

Following the goal, Whitley began to carve out a foothold in the contest, drawing level ten minutes later as Elliot Day’s dinked effort looped over an outstretched Matty Bateman and nestled in the back of the net.

The hosts soon secured absolute control of the game, winning a penalty in the 28th minute after a trip in the area, with striker Malcolm Morien converting comfortably to earn his side the lead.

Redcar scrapped to level the playing field before the break, but to no avail. Isaac Walker came closest on the brink of half-time, slotting the ball passed Whitley Bay shot-stopper Dan Lister, only to be denied by the linesman’s raised flag.

Whitley began the second period with a firm grip on the contest, seeing the bulk of the chances fall their way, with Cresdee heading into the gloves of Matty Bateman after a dangerous cross, before scooping over the bar from close-range minutes later.

The introduction of Owen Clarkson brought the Steelmen some success, with the winger injecting newfound pace and energy into the forward line, coming agonisingly close to drawing the sides level after striking the upright at the beginning of a chaotic final 15 minutes.

In the 83rd minute, Whitley Bay finally secured a cushion over Redcar, adding a third as Lowery prodded home from a corner, just seconds after Bateman produced a fantastic reflex save, tipping a deflected effort over the bar.

Athletic reduced the arrears instantly, with Clarkson earning a just reward for his efforts, bending an effort perfectly into the bottom right corner from outside the area, giving his side a lifeline in the closing stages.

It all proved to be too little too late, however, with the home side holding on to secure all three points from the contest, on an afternoon where the Steelmen were blighted by poor decision making, and deservedly beaten by an organised side.

Attendance: 312.

Redcar Goal Scorers: Issac Walker (12), Owen Clarkson (85).


13/08/20223:00 pmNorthern Football League - Division 12022/23


Hillheads Park, Whitley Bay, NE25 8HR
Hillheads Park, Rink Way, off Hillheads Road, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear. NE25 8HR, UK
Thursday 25th April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
0 : 4
Bishop Auckland
Yellow Cards
Red Cards