You are currently viewing Whickham vs Redcar Athletic

Whickham vs Redcar Athletic



Whickham 1-2 Redcar Athletic

Whickham: Scott Robson (43’)

Steelmen: Jack Blackford (64’, 83’)

Jack Blackford’s first goals in red and navy completed a deserved turnaround, as the Steelmen sank Whickham in their own backyard.

 The forward twice found the net off the back of the exploits of Layton Watts, snatching the spoils from the grasp of Scott Robson’s first half opener.

An unsavoury fracas tipped momentum in Redcar’s favour, a sending off apiece as Robson and Kevin Burgess each made way for violent conduct.

Deep in the midst of a selection crisis, Carl Jarrett once again opted for an unchanged eleven, as Jack Harrison returned from absence to take his place on the bench.

As is the precedent, Redcar were quick to stamp their authority as the referee’s whistle sounded, Nathan Guru forcing a stop from Neil Bussey with a fourth minute header.

Kevin Burgess sprayed a long ball to the feet of Curtis Round as play continued, the forward stopped in the latter stages of his run by a fantastic sliding intervention.

Round was once again denied his customary goal, this time by the gloves of Neil Bussey, his first time strike tipped behind at the expense of a corner.

Jack Blackford came the closest to marking Redcar’s first half dominance, bending towards the far stanchion, only for Bussey to again push the effort behind.

Not short of possession themselves, yet less productive, Whickham were the first to make something stick in attack.

The clinical Scott Robson – top scorer in the Northern League – was offered far too much space, and obliged with a long range finish.

Play resumed in a much less civil manner, as a challenge from Kevin Burgess led to a poor retaliation from Scott Robson.

As fisticuffs pursued, the pair were both shown red by the match official, each sent for an early shower charged with violent conduct.

The following change of shape ultimately benefitted the Steelmen, whilst blunting Whickham, who struggled to produce anything of note as their attack petered out.

A delightful cushioned pass from Layton Watts teed up Jack Blackford to restore parity, the forward set free on goal, and unchallenged by the neat finish to match.

Dale Hopson twice called the status quo into question from a dead ball, rattling the woodwork from the corner spot, whilst prompting a routine stop from Neil Bussey with a deep free-kick.

Incisive play from Redcar’s number ten again broke through the Lang Jack’s backline, Jack Blackford once more offered the time and space to pick his spot to Bussey’s right.

Leading with little to play, Athletic still maintained a thirst for goals, Curtis Round keen to lash one last effort goalwards, before the referee signalled for a fifth successive victory for Carl Jarrett’s men.

Attendance: 145

Line-Up: Roberts, Mills, Graham, Liddle, Burgess (sent off 51’), Guru, Blackford, Hopson, Boyes, Watts, Round

Next Match: Seaham Red Star (a) | Tuesday 19th March 2024


16/03/20243:00 pmNorthern Football League - Division 12023/24


Glebe Sports Ground, Rectory Lane, NE16 4PF
Glebe Sports Ground, Rectory Lane, Whickham, Tyne & Wear, NE16 4PF, UK
Tuesday 23rd April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
1 : 2
Boro Rangers
Yellow Cards
Red Cards