You are currently viewing Redcar Athletic vs Seaham Red Star

Redcar Athletic vs Seaham Red Star



Redcar Athletic 1-0 Seaham Red Star

Steelmen: Kevin Burgess (63’)


A strike from the skipper, as Redcar Athletic put paid to a five game winless streak at a blustery Green Lane.

Goalless to the hour, returning captain Kevin Burgess broke the resolve of a stubborn Seaham Red Star, turning home with great composure to seal a deserved three points.

Past the worst of a devastating injury crisis, Carl Jarrett named all but a full strength side to face the familiar foe, Burgess restored to the heart of defence in the only change.

Doused in the evening sun, Redcar made a quick start to proceedings, Curtis Round and Mark Anderson both seeking to make haste from the midfield.

A tidy lay off from Adam Boyes soon worked Curtis Round into a more advantageous position, the forward dragging his effort across the face of goal, with no red shirt on hand to make amends.

Forever a keen adversary to the Steelmen, Seaham were far from out of the picture.

A loose ball offered Adam Burnicle a run at Callum Roberts’s goal, the shot-stopper’s sliding intervention prompting unsuccessful penalty shouts from the Red Star contingent.

Roberts found himself worked again on the half hour, rising to claim James Robinson’s dipping free kick, whisked inadvertently towards goal by an untimely gust.

Dale Hopson tried his luck from a dead ball of his own to mark the half, Andrew Jennison in the Red Star goal more than equal to his venomous attempt.

Under the cover of darkness, Redcar remained on top as play resumed.

Makeshift fullback Nathan Guru took the first crack, towering above the defence to nod Dale Hopson’s swerving delivery into the advertising hoardings.

Incisive play down the right flank fashioned Redcar’s next spurned opportunity. Adam Boyes slipped the ball across the face of goal, and Jack Blackford stretched in vain to meet it.

As the forwards failed to make headway, captain Kevin Burgess marked his return from suspension with the decisive goal.

Picked out by Dale Hopson, the central defender showed footwork to rival Jack Blackford’s, twisting away from a forlorn Andrew Jennison, and prodding calmly into the unmarked goal.

A slender lead, Brad Chisholm’s hooked volley made for a quick scare, the substitute scything over the bar with Callum Roberts all but beaten.

Seaham’s search for parity left gaps to exploit at the back for a Redcar side of newfound confidence, Jack Blackford weaving through the attacking third to slice an effort but a few inches wide.

The forward pulled the strings in a late surge for an insurance goal, most notably teeing up Adam Boyes, who scooped over.

Joe Ferguson mustered one last chance for the triumphant Steelmen, cutting the ball across the face of goal, with young Louis Evans off the bench to prove a whisker away from his first senior goal.

Attendance: 259

Line-Up: Roberts, Guru, Ferguson, Hopson (Liddle 69’), Burgess, Graham, Bell (Evans 82’), Anderson, Boyes, Round, Blackford

Next Match: Birtley Town (a) | Tuesday 16th April 2024


12/04/20247:30 pmNorthern Football League - Division 12023/24


BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Green Lane, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland, Tees Valley, England, TS10 3RW, United Kingdom
Thursday 25th April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
0 : 4
Bishop Auckland
Yellow Cards
Red Cards