You are currently viewing Redcar Athletic vs Northallerton Town

Redcar Athletic vs Northallerton Town



Redcar Athletic 2-2 Northallerton Town

Steelmen: Liam O’Sullivan (37’), Matty Tymon (101’)

Town: Dale Hopson (77’), McKenzie Diccico (81’)

Substitute Matty Tymon salvaged a point at the death, as Redcar Athletic wasted opportunities to gift Northallerton a route back into the game.

The Steelmen worked enough chances to be out of sight come the break, yet lead only through the thin margins of Liam O’Sullivan’s first for the club.

Dale Hopson and McKenzie Diccico punished Redcar for their woes in front of goal, before Matty Tymon stepped up to stab the ball over the line in the 101st minute, and the spoils were shared.

On the back of a poor start to the campaign, Gary Forster made a number of changes to the XI, including the introduction of young shot-stopper, Nathan Fisher.

Northallerton were quick to ask questions of the Middlesbrough loanee, who showed his composure when watching Dale Hopson’s effort from kick-off sail over his crossbar.

The debutant goalkeeper saw little action in the first period, as Redcar were firmly on the front foot.

Liam O’Sullivan provided the most joy in attack, causing problems for Town with his monstrous long throw, from which Sayer and Wheatley both nodded wide.

The tenacious midfield play of Alfie Conway opened up a gilt-edged chance before the half hour mark, which Sonni Coleman could only rise to volley behind.

Coleman proved another vital asset for Redcar going forwards, as his assertive presence produced a number of opportunities.

A clever bit of footwork from the forward fashioned possibly the greatest opportunity of the half, from which James Sayer’s cross was skewed over the bar by a disappointed Danny Boyle.

O’Sullivan had been the route of many of Northallerton’s troubles in the first half, and fittingly broke the deadlock, driving Isaac Walker’s deflected effort back across goal to find the far bottom corner.

Walker had found little success in attack, but missed a golden opportunity to double the lead seconds before the break, looping Nathan Fisher’s delightful ping over Kieran Hunter’s crossbar.

Fisher found himself deeper into the game come the second half, as he twice showed incredible composure to hare out of goal and deny Scott Ryan in a 1-on-1 situation.

At the other end, a decisive second goal eluded the Steelmen, as Isaac Walker’s close range poke was deemed offside, and Adam Wheatley’s towering header rattled the crossbar.

The introduction of Matty Tymon and Layton Watts changed the complexion of the match, and the pair should have combined for an insurance goal, as the latter lofted an over-the-top ball wide of the mark.

As missed opportunities mounted, the inevitable happened, and a push in the back earned Northallerton a penalty, which Dale Hopson calmly converted.

The visitors rode the momentum of their stolen leveller, capitalising on a mistake just five minutes later, as Luke Hogan slipped in former-Steelman McKenzie Diccico, who made no mistake with the finish.

Staring down the barrel of defeat, Redcar were boosted by an extensive injury time, and snatched a point back right at the death to the delight of a 448 strong crowd at Green Lane.

Another Liam O’Sullivan throw prompted carnage in the area, and as Boyle’s volley was denied, Nathan Guru’s trickling effort was poked home by a lurking Matty Tymon, and the Steelmen’s rot was over.

Attendance: 448

Line-Up: Fisher, McNeill, O’Sullivan, Kenney, Guru, Wheatley, Conway (Fletcher 78’), Boyle, Coleman (Tymon 62’), Sayer (Owens 78’), Walker (Watts 62’)

Next Match: Heaton Stannington (h) | Tuesday 15th August 2023


11/08/20237:30 pmNorthern Football League - Division 12023/24


BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Green Lane, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland, Tees Valley, England, TS10 3RW, United Kingdom
Thursday 25th April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
0 : 4
Bishop Auckland
Yellow Cards
Red Cards