You are currently viewing Redcar Athletic vs Hartlepool United

Redcar Athletic vs Hartlepool United



Redcar Athletic 1-5 Hartlepool United

Steelmen: Layton Watts (3’)

Hartlepool: Mani Dieseruvwe (8’), Josh Umerah (34’), Joe Grey (48’), Chris Wreh (73’, 86’)

A record crowd of over 1’700 packed out Green Lane, as the Steelmen wrapped up pre-season against Hartlepool United.

The National League outfit showed their stature in a professional performance, sweeping aside a valiant Redcar after Layton Watts’ deflected effort clinched a shock opener.

Despite the result, Athletic will view the evening as a success, with the visit of the local giants seeing the highest crowd ever recorded on the Redcar seafront, with 1’781 spectators lining the terraces.

Redcar’s previous best attendance had been against Middlesbrough’s youth two seasons ago, with the weather decidedly less favourable this time, with violent downpours marring the early exchanges.

Still, the Steelmen were up for the occasion, with early pressure coming to fruition in just the third minute, as Danny Boyle’s endeavour regained possession, and Layton Watts’ driven effort deflected into the top corner.

The joy of the Redcar faithful was unfortunately short-lived, as an inch-perfect cross from Josh Umerah was prodded home by Mani Dieseruvwe to restore parity.

Umerah continued to cause problems at the back for Athletic, finding himself at the centre of their offensive success, firing narrowly over Jack Norton’s crossbar, before nodding astray a few moments later.

Hartlepool’s new signing Mancini formed a deadly double act with Umerah, curling an effort narrowly wide himself, before the two linked up for the latter’s deserved place on the scoresheet to secure a half time lead.

Redcar did have joy in the visitors’ half, utilising their little possession well to fashion a number of quality opportunities, but as Watts’ looped an effort over, and Dixon was resolute in denying Tymon, Pools’ defence was unbroken.

United returned after the break with a fresh XI, and extended their lead inside three minutes, as Joe Grey slotted home a third after Chris Wreh worked an golden opportunity.

Matters worsened for the Steelmen in the following minutes, as former Pools man Oscar Fletcher went down requiring treatment, and was eventually forced to limp of the pitch to a standing ovation.

Chris Wreh proved Hartlepool’s greatest outlet in the second period, notching the first of his late double with a near post drive, following a clever swivel to shake his marker.

Redcar’s switched up frontline created a few opportunities of their own, headlined by a spill from Pools’ substitute ‘keeper Jameson, which Jamie Owens forced over the line, only to be pulled up for offside.

Wreh sealed his brace four minutes from time, converting with great composure from the spot to wrap up the highly anticipated affair.

Result aside, this was a great evening for Athletic, with both a record crowd, and a learning experience for Forster’s roster to take in to the Northern League season, which begins on Saturday…

Attendance: 1’781

Next Match: Birtley Town (h) | Saturday 29th July 2023


25/07/20237:30 pm2023/24


BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Green Lane, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland, Tees Valley, England, TS10 3RW, United Kingdom
Thursday 25th April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
0 : 4
Bishop Auckland
Yellow Cards
Red Cards