You are currently viewing Redcar Athletic vs Guisborough Town

Redcar Athletic vs Guisborough Town



Redcar Athletic 1-2 Guisborough Town

Steelmen: Mason McNeill (37’)

Guisborough: James Frazer (75’), Kurtis Howes (82’)

Derby day despair for the ten men of Redcar, as Guisborough Town fought from behind to edge a heated affair.

An unlikely scorer in Mason McNeill gave Athletic headway, sweeping home a cute lay off from an unselfish Donny Holdsworth.

Anthony Bell’s actions in a second half fracas reduced the Steelmen to ten, and the Priorymen snatched their opportunity to turn the tie on its head with a late double.

Mothballed in the changing rooms for the last three weeks, Redcar’s start proved nothing short of sluggish.

Guisborough’s aggression penned the Steelmen in their own half for most of the opening exchanges, and only a smart double stop from Jack Norton prevented Ben Cummins an early opener.

The shot-stopper found his work cut out for him as the half bore on, stooping to claim a deflected effort from Cummins, whilst twice denying Sonni Coleman his perfect return.

Redcar’s offensive pressure slowly mounted, and as Liam Jarvie worked the ball into a dangerous area, Mason McNeill pounced to sweep an unselfish pass from Donny Holdsworth in at the far post.

The former Steelmen duo of Sonni Coleman and Matty Tymon looked to combine to form a quick response, yet the latter failed to control his ultimately wayward effort.

Guisborough were back on the offensive as play resumed for the second period, with Kurtis Howes twice denied by a concoction of debutant Lewis Ritson, the post, and Jack Norton.

As Redcar’s improving play proved unrewarding, bookings began to mount, and the contest descended into a rather ill-tempered derby.

A fairly innocuous challenge between Nick Hood and substitute James Sayer culminated in the biggest melee, with Anthony Bell shown the red card for his actions defending the 17-year-old.

The decision undoubtably became a turning point in the contest, and Athletic were left somewhat aggrieved that retribution for the flashpoint fell only one way.

A lapse in concentration at the back gifted Isaac Walker a rare chance to hurt the advantaged Priorymen, only for his efforts to be unselfish to cost him the opportunity.

At the other end, incremental pressure from Town forced Redcar into desperation, and eventually, James Frazer prodded the ball over the line to mark their efforts with a leveller.

Ironically, the decisive goal came from a lone mistake from an otherwise resolute Jack Norton, as Kurtis Howes’ bending delivery slipped through his grasp.

One last shout for handball proved a lifeline for a reeling Redcar Athletic, yet in the theme of the evening, the officials were unmoved, and the travelling supporters earned the final cheer.

Attendance: 402

Line-Up: Norton, McNeill, Thompson (O’Sullivan 51’), Ferguson, Guru, Ritson (Hall 90’), Mills, Boyle (Walker 46’), Jarvie (Sayer 46’), Holdsworth, Bell

Next Match: Shildon (h) | Saturday 23rd December 2023


15/12/20237:30 pmNorthern Football League - Division 12023/24


BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Green Lane, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland, Tees Valley, England, TS10 3RW, United Kingdom
Thursday 25th April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
0 : 4
Bishop Auckland
Yellow Cards
Red Cards