You are currently viewing Redcar Athletic vs Bishop Auckland

Redcar Athletic vs Bishop Auckland



Donny’s double guides Steelmen to Auckland triumph.

Donny Holdsworth inspired Redcar to a hard-fought win in difficult conditions, as Gary Forster’s side edged out promotion hopefuls, Bishop Auckland, at Green Lane.

The midfielder twice made the scoresheet in a dominant first half display, setting the Steelmen up for success with two neat, composed finishes.

Auckland’s Louis Johnson made for a tense ending to the contest with a late breakaway goal, but with two dismissals in Athletic’s favour, it proved too little too late for the downtrodden Two Blues.

Adverse weather conditions certainly added an extra element to the gripping affair, with strong gusts driving inland from the coast, working in Redcar’s favour as the match got underway.

There was almost a perfect start for Athletic, as a poor back-pass gifted an opportunity to Craig Hutchinson, who missed the chance to further his weekend brace when volleying over the bar.

The forward redeemed himself after quarter of an hour as a crucial part of the breakthrough goal, knocking a loose ball back into the path of Donny Holdsworth, whose low, driven effort travelled through a body of players to beat Ryan Catterick.

The ex-Marske United man proved quite stubborn in the face of relentless Redcar aggression, pulling off a number of top-class acrobatic saves, preventing both a headed own goal and a spectacular Sonni Coleman curler.

Quick footwork from debutant Oscar Fletcher eventually fashioned a deserved second, as Donny kept his composure to make space after an incisive pass, picking his spot across goal to slot home his brace.

With the wind against Redcar after the restart, Bishop Auckland made a dramatic recovery, only failing to turn their possession into concrete opportunities.

Louis Johnson came the closest to clawing his side back into the game, just missing connection as the ball was flashed across the box, whilst Jack Norton had to be alert to rush out and shut down a later chance.

As the weather continued to worsen, so too did the temper, rearing its head after a few earlier flashpoints when Craig Gott was given his matching orders for sending Danny Boyle to the deck off the ball.

10-man Bishop Auckland still forced a nervous ending to the match, as Louis Johnson beat Jack Norton to an over-the-top ball to steal his side an 83rd minute lifeline with a tidy finish.

The Two Blues hopes lasted all but two minutes, as Johnson’s frustrations built up, and the forward was shown a straight red card of his own for dissent, putting Auckland down to nine.

Seven minutes of stoppage time passed by with relative ease for the Steelmen, despite some tensions around a wet Green Lane, which turned to elation at the final whistle at yet another impressive victory with Gary Forster at the helm.

Attendance: 331.

Goal Scorers: Brandon Holdsworth (15, 32).


28/02/20237:30 pmNorthern Football League - Division 12022/23


BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Green Lane, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland, Tees Valley, England, TS10 3RW, United Kingdom
Thursday 25th April, 19:30BM Bi Fold Stadium, Green Lane, TS10 3RW
Redcar Athletic
0 : 4
Bishop Auckland
Yellow Cards
Red Cards