Match Report: Redcar Athletic Under-23s 1-2 Myton House Farm

Picture of Mark Hathaway

Mark Hathaway

Redcar Athletic Under-23s coach

Redcar Athletic Under23s’ season ended with a narrow defeat to deserved divisional champions, Myton House Farm.

Short of a number of key players due to work commitments, injury and holiday, the game nearly got off to the worst possible start for Athletic.

Spotting stand in ‘keeper Jack Marshall slightly off his line, the Myton player tried his luck straight from kick off. The Athletic ‘keeper did superbly to tip the ball over the bar.

The opening exchanges were a real struggle for the Under23s with the away side dominating possession.

It seemed it would just be a matter of time before the league-leaders took the lead, with Jack Marshall called on to make a number of saves.

However, slowly but surely, Athletic started to get a foothold in the game, and they created two chances in two minutes.

Firstly, Jamie Hill turned inside his marker but fired just over the bar. Moments later, Jamie Hill turned provider, setting up Rylee Frost, who saw his shot go narrowly over the bar.

The best chance of the half for Athletic arrived on 36 minutes when Ste Sullivan created a chance for himself with a neat piece of skill, but his shot went into the side netting.

Just as it looked as if the home side were getting on top, Myton took the lead on 41 minutes, and there was real controversy in the build up.

Lewis Barwick appeared to be fouled in the corner, but the referee waved play on. The ball was crossed into the box where Myton forward Joe Pickett fired home, with ‘keeper Jack Marshall doing well to get a hand on the ball, but he couldn’t keep it out.

In the aftermath of the goal Ste Sullivan was sent to the sin bin for complaining about the lack of a foul being awarded.

The opening chance of the second half fell to Athletic. David Bradley and Ste Sullivan combined to set up Lewis Barwick, and his shot stung the hands of the Myton ‘keeper.

That was as good as it got in the opening exchanges of the half, as Myton dominated, but found the Athletic centre back pairing of Marshall Blackburn and Matty Rutland in excellent form.

On 55 minutes, Ste Sullivan picked up a loose ball but fired just wide, before the game changed on 59 minutes.

A goalbound shot from Jamie Hill was handled on the line by the Myton centre back, giving the referee no option other than to send the player off and award a penalty.

Jamie Hill stepped up to take the penalty and sent the keeper the wrong way to level the game up.

Despite dominating possession, Athletic were unable to create anything clear cut with the Myton defence holding firm.

With just over 10 minutes left, Myton retook the lead, with Guisborough Town player Joe Pickett delivering a delightful cross from the right, putting the ball on a plate for Luke Wood to finish from close range.

The remainder of the game saw Athletic pile the pressure on.

A lovely ball from Kian Brodie was headed wide by Tom Newton, before a weaving run from Rylee Frost ended with the Myton ‘keeper saving at the second attempt.

With four minutes left, Athletic came perilously close to equalising. Great play on the left from David Bradley ended with a cross into the box, where right back Noah Godfrey hit the ball sweetly, only for the Myton ‘keeper to pull off a magnificent save.

In 8 minutes of injury time, a corner from Tom Newton was headed wide by Jacob Spence, as Myton ran out narrow winners, securing a deserved title.

Redcar Athletic Under23s would like to thank all of the players who turned out for the team this season, along with parents and extended family, plus all of the player sponsors.


Luxury holiday homes and experts in holiday home management