Redcar Athletic FC
Redcar Athletic FC
Established 1993

Redcar Athletic FC 1 - 0 Heaton Stannington

Home | 05 September 2018 | Attendance: 126
Heaton Stannington got off to a better start than Redcar Athletic and after just 5 minutes their dangerman striker Jonathan Wright pounced on a loose ball, shook off 2 challenges before firing in a stinging rising shot from 20 yards which forced keeper Will Lawrence to tip over the bar from a standing position. In the 7th minute  Joshua Holland got away down the right cut into the Redcar Athletic penalty area but then fired his shot towards the near post and only ruffled the outside netting. Redcar Athletic's 1st real opportunity came in the 16th minute when Jordan Rivis pinged the ball forward down the right and Gary Redman raced onto it into the penalty area but shot too close to keeper Daniel Regan, who managed to deflect it round the right hand for a corner kick. On Redcar Athletic had a lucky escape when Dean Imrey's goalbound 20 yard low drive deflected off Gary Wood and curled just 6 inches round the left hand post with keeper Will Lawrence being totally wrong footed, he would not have been able to reach the ball even if it had been a foot near to him. That was to prove to the last main chance Heaton Stannington had in the half as the Redcar Athletic defence managed to get a grip on the game, but the Teessiders could not get their attacking game flowing and were unable to cause any threat themselves to the visitors goal.
                                  H-T Redcar Athletic 0 v 0 Heaton Stannington

Redcar Athletic brought on Sam Webster for defender Jordan Kirk at the beginning of the 2nd half and this change seemed to give the team more impetus right from the kick off. Just 4 minutes into the 2nd half Gary Wood drove a low 20 yard shot through a crowded penalty which Heaton Stannington keeper Daniel Regal caught sight of late and did very well to to get down in time to flick it round the right hand post. On 53 minutes Jordan Rivis cut through the Heaton Stannington midfield before playing in Sam Webster, who fired in a low shot which deflected off a defender and went the wrong side of the right hand post. Heaton Stannington's defence couldn't keep Redcar Athletic from coming at them in numbers and just over a minute later keeper Daniel Regan came to their rescue with a reaction save from Gary Redman's shot after good build up work on the left by Anthony Jones and Sam Calvert. However in the 56th minute keeper Daniel Regan was unable to rescue the visitors again when Anthony Jones and Sam Calvert teamed up with good play in the penalty area to create an opportunity for SAM WEBSTER, who made no mistake by drilling a low shot from inside the "D" into the right hand side of the net. On 70 minutes Sam Calvert planted his header from Chris Bivens free kick from the right wing against the visitors crossbar and as Anthony Jones pounced onto the loose ball he was flagged offside just as he was about  to fire it into the net. With 10 minutes remaining Anthony Jones broke clear down the right before then squaring the ball across the 6 yard box, which Sam Webster slid in to connect with and was only denied his 2nd goal of the game when keeper managed to stretch out to get his right boot to it to preventing it from crossing the goal line. Heaton Stannington had not been a threat in the 2nd half but 5 minutes from time substitute Abubaker Salim should have done better when presented with a free header from a right wing cross he harmlessly he planted it over the bar. In the 1st half the referee added just 2 minutes extra despite defender Jordan Kirk  requiring treatment on the pitch for an injury and yet in the 2nd half 8 minutes extra were added, despite there weren't any stoppages for treatment for injured players on the pitch. In the 5th minute of injury time Heaton Stannington were awarded a free kick 20 yards out from goal when defender Chris Bivens mistimed his challenge for the ball. Jonathan Wright superbly his free kick with power over the wall and it looked destined for the roof of the net until Will Lawrence launched himself to his left to spectacularly flick the ball over the bar to defending cheers and applause from the bumper home crowd. Despite saying to the Redcar Athletic players that the free kick was going to be the last play of the game the referee not only allowed the corner kick to be taken but also carried on the for another 3 minutes. Most of this time however was taken up by 3 yellow cards being issued to Heaton Stannington players when they were denied the award of another corner kick when the ball had clearly come off Redcar Athletic defender Chris Bivens legs. Finally after the 8th minute of additional time, (I cannot bring myself to call it injury time) with almost all of the Redcar Athletic fans in the crowd doing their Alex Ferguson impression of holding their arms in the air and loudly gesticulating at their watches, the referee finally brought the game to a conclusion.

Starting Line Up