Redcar Athletic FC
Redcar Athletic FC
Established 1993
Redcar Athletic FC

Home | 08 August 2018 | Attendance: 201

Match Report

A bumper crowd of 201 turned up at BM Bi-Folding Doors Stadium, Green Lane to watch the 1st Northern League game played in Redcar since 1922 and although the home fans went home disappointed due to the result, both teams put on a show for all in attendance.

After a number of wasted opportunites and half chances for both sides early on it was Redcar Athletic that created the first goalscoring opportunity in the 18th minute. Michael Woodhouse played in Gary Wood who threaded the ball wide to the right for  Sam Webster to run and cut into the Thornaby penalty area before unleashing a goalbound low hard drive, which forced keeper James Dawson down fully to his right to palm it away to safety. Thornaby's first real attempt on target came on 26 minutes when Jordan Wilson's cross from the right wing was met by a header Matthew Osmond, but this Osmond wasn't singing a celebration song as the ball deflected off Mitchell Morris and went out for a corner. Redcar Athletic were given a golden opportunity to score in the 29th minute when keeper James Dawson kicked his clearance straight to Adam Preston just outside the right hand edge of the penalty area. Instead of shooting himself Adam Preston surprisingly squared the ball to Sam Calvert, but he fired his shot just within reach of keeper James Dawson, who managed to save his blushes by getting an outstretched hand to the ball to deny the Ex-Whitby striker and bring out a big gasp of disappointment from the home support who were half up in the air ready to celebrate. With the game seemingly heading towards the break goalless to the surprise of the crowd the referee pointed to the spot after Joe Scaife-Wheatley went down after being tackled by Joe Bennett. Despite the uproar from the crowd and protests from the Redcar Athletic plyers for the referee to check with his assistant, he stood by his decision and KURTIS HOWES planted the spot kick low into the right hand side of the net.
               H-T  Redcar Athletic 0 v 2 Thornaby FC
Thornaby came close to doubling their lead in the 50th minute minute when right back Joe Posthill weaved his way into the Redcar Athletic penalty area but his vicious rising shot was deflected over the bar by keeper Dan Simpkin who had stood tall when narrowing the angle. However it was only a shorbrief of relief for the home team as the lead was doubled just 4 minutes later. A simple ball forward down left saw JOE SCAIFE-WHEATLEY time his run perfectly to beat Redcar Athletic's offside trap and race into box before drilling his shot across the dive of keeper Dan Simpkin into the far right hand corner of the net. Redcar Athletic came within inches of pulling a goal back just 3 minutes later when  Sam Webster connected with Lee Farrington's curled ball into the Thornaby penalty, only to see his effort drift just wide of the left hand post. Redcar Athletic were piling on the pressure in an attempt to get back into the match and came even closer to scoring in the 65th minute after the move of the game. Lee Farrington's low curled ball forward was dummied superbly by Adam Preston which allowed it to run perfectly into the path of Michael Woodhouse who let fly from 25 yards out and although his shot zipped past keeper James Dawson, it pinged back off the right hand post only then to be booted to safety. Redcar Athletic kept the pressure on but Thornaby were always dangerous on the break and the home side found themselves having to conceed a free kick 20 yards out from goal with 4 minutes remaining from one such breakaway move. Joe Posthill curled his shot brilliantly round the wall but 17 year old keeper Dan Simpkin showed once again why he can be trusted between the sticks by not only saving the free kick but gathering in the ball first time with a firm grip. The 90th minute summed Redcar Athletic's luck in this match when substitutes Jack Simpson and Ben Turner teamed up to create the final goalscoring opportunity. Firstly Jack Simpson dribbled his way through to the edge of the Thornaby penalty area and his low drilled cross in was met by the boot of Ben Turner, who tried to place his shot James Dawson's dive, only for it to come to halt after getting tangled up in the keeper's legs, who then managed to pounce on the now inert ball just a foot or so from the goalline.

Match Photo's

Match Stats

Starting Line Up

GK Daniel Simpkin
DF Stuart Browne
DF Joe Bennett
DF Lee Farrington
MD Jordan Rivis
MD Sam Webster
MD Michael Woodhouse
MD Josh Cooper
MD Gary Wood (60')
ST Sam Calvert (66')
ST Adam Preston (73')


MD Lance Skelton (60')
MD Mitchell Morris
MD Jack Simpson (73')
MD Gary Redman
ST Ben Turner (73')