Redcar Athletic FC
Redcar Athletic FC
Established 1993
Redcar Athletic FC
Wolviston FC

Home | 06 April 2018 | Attendance: 98

Match Report

Redcar Athletic were unable to defend the Monkwearmouth Cup which they won last year, as near neighbours Wolviston won a pulsating semi final 5-4 on penalties in front of a healthy crowd on Friday night, after it finished 3-3 at full time.

Redcar Athletic were almost in front just 20 seconds into the game when Adam Preston's high cross into the penalty area from the right was met with a looping header by Daniel Drazdauskas which almost caught out Wolviston keeper Chris Davidson but he just managed to get his hand to the ball to tip it over the bar. On 3 minutes Wolviston had their first effort on target when Famara Jatta burst into Redcar Athletic's penalty area and his stinging rising shot was deflected into the air by keeper Will Lawrence before he then grabbed it under his crossbar. A minute later and Redcar Athletic went ahead in  what was a frantic opening to the game.  Lance Skelton's ball put Daniel Drazdausdas down the right and his low shot from 12 yards out was turned round the left hand post by a superb save from Chris Davidson. However from Joe Bennett's corner kick the ball dropped to Daniel Drazdauskas, who fed it to ANDY JENNINGS on his left, who drilled the ball hard into the net. It was almost 2-0 on 9 minutes when from another Joe Bennett corner kick, Andy Jennings header looked set for the net only to be headed off the line by Wolviston captain Stewart Bath. Wolviston should have equalised on 32 minutes when they broke away down the right and Philip Otele burst into the penalty area before then squaring the ball right across to an incoming Famara Jatta, who simply could not miss the open goal that was 6 yards in front of him, but to the disbelief of his team-mates and to the relief of Redcar Athletic, he blasted his shot into the fencing a full wide of the left hand post. The Redcar Athletic fans knew their team had been let off the hook by Wolviston but did not believe it would happen a 2nd time. They did not realise that they only had to wait just another 2 minutes for it to happen again. A free kick from the right wing into the Redcar Athletic penalty area deflected off the back of defender Stuart Browne's head straight to the feet of Wolviston's Stewart Bath right in front of goal, but even he could not believe that he then blazed his shot over the bar when he could have simply slotted it home and if he had a shovel he would have dug a hole for him to hide his embarassment at missing a golden opportunity to score. But Redcar Athletic did not learn from the let offs which came from some sloppy defending and on 44 minutes a simple ball forward caught out Stuart Browne, who allowed it to bounce in front of him, meaning as he gave PHILIP OTELE the opportunity to nip in to rob him,  who then burst clear into the penalty area before neatly slotting past onrushing keeper Will Lawrence into the net. Wolviston then repeated the act just under a minute later when a ball down the right saw PHILIP OTELE easily shrug off Stuart Browne's challenge to once again burst into the penalty to finish with aplomb into the far bottom left hand corner of the net to give the visitors's a half time lead.

            H-T  Redcar Athletic 1 v 2 Wolviston FC

It was nearly 3-1 to Wolviston on 51 minutes when Famara Jatta's cross from the left was met on the volley with a neat flick by Tony Johnson which keeper Will Lawrence managed to palm straight out from his goal with a reflex save,  back to the same Wolviston striker who then tried to hook the ball over him, but the keeper was luckily still on his feet and was able to jump to grab the ball above his head and prevent it from going into the roof of the net.  On 53 minutes redcar Athletic put a flowing move together which saw Stuart Browne feed in Sam Webster down the left and his cross into the penalty area was met on the volley by Adam Preston, but it just had too much height on it and flashed 6 inches over the crossbar. In the 62nd minute a foul by Josh Chambers on Sam Webster  just outside the right hand side of the penalty area cost Wolviston dear as ADAM PRESTON brought the house down with a stunning fierce free kick into the roof of the net. On 66 minutes Sam Webster's cross was met with a well placed header by Andy Jennings but Wolviston keeper Chris Davidson flung himself across his goal to fingertip the ball over the right handside of his crossbar. With 20 minutes reaining Joe Bennett stepped up to take a free kick 45 yards out and decided to chance his arm but his effort glanced off the outside roof of the netting. Redcar Athletic finally went ahead on 76 minutes when Michael Woodhouse's ball forward was headed on by Andy Jennings and ADAM PRESTON was on it in a flash to race clear before firing hard and low past Chris Davidson from the edge of the area into the net. Everyone in the crowd now believed Redcar Athletic would now see out the game but Wolviston were having none of it. Just 3 minutes after going behind Wolviston were back level when a cross from the left into Redcar Athletic's penalty saw PHILIP OTELE bravely slide in just beating keeper Will Lawrence, to the ball to prod home before coming out worst in a collision between both players. After receiving treatment Wolvisiton's hat trick hero Philip Otele was able to carry on playing. Redcar Athletic fans were screaming for a penalty in the 83rd minute when substitute Jack Simpson seemed to be felled in full flight in the right hand side of the penalty area by defender Adam Johnston, but there were no appeals from the Redcar Athletic player who honestly admitted the Wolviston player had got his foot to the ball with his sliding challenge. Redcar Athletic almost won the game with what would have been a stunning goal 3 minutes into injury time. Joe Bennett sent over a corner kick from the left into the penalty area and substitute Mitchell Morris contorted his body to hook a vicious goal bound volley, which had keeper Chris Davidson beaten only for it it hit unfortunate team-mate and fellow substitute Jack Simpson stood almost right on the line, full on the face, wiping him out and deflecting the ball round for the post for a goal kick. Players and fans alike did not know whether to laugh or cry. Jack Simpson although stunned by the impact of the ball, was fortunately otherwise unhurt. It was all but the final kick of the game as the referee blew for full time seconds later.

               F-T  Redcar Athletic 3 v 3 Wolviston FC

There was drama in the penalty shoot out when with the score at 3-2 to Wolviston, Redcar Athletic's  Sam Webster saw his tame effort saved by Chris Davidson. However the keeper had raced 3 yards off his goal line to make the save and the referee after checking with his linesman order the kick to be retaken from which Sam Webster made no mistake to level the score up to 3-3. With 9 penalties taken and the score at 5-4 Chris Bivens stepped up and blasted his spot kick against the crossbar which meant Wolviston progressed to the final.

Match Photo's

Match Stats

Starting Line Up

GK Will Lawrence
DF David Abel
DF Joe Bennett
DF Chris Bivens
DF Stuart Browne (90')
MD Lance Skelton (75')
MD Sam Webster
MD Michael Woodhouse
ST Dan Drazdauskas (64')
ST Adam Preston


DF Luke Woodall
MD Josh Cooper
MD Mitchell Morris (90')
MD Jack Simpson (75')
ST Anthony Jones (64')