Redcar Athletic FC
Redcar Athletic FC
Established 1993
Redcar Athletic FC
Sunderland West End

Away | 18 November 2017 | Attendance: 50

Match Report

The first opportunity in the match came just 90 seconds into the match when Redcar Athletic were awarded a free kick 25 yards out from Sunderland West End's goal. Michael Woodhouse curled the ball low round the left hand side of the defensive wall but without too much power, however keeper Graeme Pickering made a complete hash with his save allowing it trickle through his hands and under his body but reacted just it time to turn and grabit before it crossed over the goal-line. However just a minute later Redcar Athletic were awarded another free kick, this kick 45 yards out on the left hand touchline. Joe Bennett fired the ball high over into the Sunderland West End penalty area and STUART BROWNE came in behind Robert Hall at the right hand post to head Redcar Athletic into the lead. The lead only lasted 2 minutes and this time it was Sunderland West End who capitalised on a free kick. Mark Robinson floated his free kick high into the penalty area and the Redcar Athletic defence stood roted to the ground allowing NATHAN BURRELL to rise unchallenged to loop a header over everyone into right hand side of the net. Sunderland West End were absolutely incensed on 9 minutes after Redcar Athletic's Lance Skelton scythed Bryan Norton down and was only given a word of warning from the referee, when everyone in the ground, bar the official, thought the foul quite clearly warranted at least a yellow card. Halfway through the half Sunderland West End should have went ahead when Mark Robinson broke into the Teessiders penalty area 6 yards out from goal and after his first attempted cross rebounded to him, with his chipped 2nd attempt he picked out Brad Wilson, but he directed his free header 4 yards out from goal past the right hand post. Neither team could create another chance in the remainder of the half despite some good looking moves they always seemed to breakdown after either a poor final ball or a determined full blooded challenge.

           H-T  Sunderland West End 1 v 1 Redcar Athletic

In the 51st minute Sunderland West West End went ahead in the match when a deep cross from the left by Kevin Gordon caught out the Redcar Athletic defence and ROB HALL came in unmarked from the left hand side of the penalty area to side foot the ball past keeper Jordan Lowrie into the right hand side of the net. It should have been 3-1 to Sunderland West End on the hour mark when Leyton Chapman's 20 yard powerblaster was too hot for keeper Jordan Lowrie to handle and the rebound from him came straight to Mark Robinson, who had time to pick his spot but instead fired his rising free shot wide of the left hand post to let Redcar Athletic off the hook. Redcar Athletic didn't hang around breathing a sigh of relief at the let-off as from the goal kick they went straight up the other end of the pitch and equalised. Jordan Rivis fed in Chris Bivens on the right and his cross was picked up just inside the left hand side of the penalty area by SAM WEBSTER, who seemed to miss the opportunity of a shot as he paused on the ball, but then he burst into life, leaving 2 defenders in his wake as he blazed past them before firing an unstoppable shot across keeper Graeme Pickering into the far right hand corner of the net. On 65 minutes Jordan Rivis played a defensive splitting ball which put ADAM PRESTON in thru the centre and his low shot just managed to squeeze it's way through Graeme Pickering's body into the back of the net to put Redcar Athletic 3-2 ahead. On 75 minutes it was Redcar Athletic's turn to miss an easy chance when Bryan Stewart robbed Reece Thompson of the ball then put Adam Preston in down the right wing and his cross picked out Daniel Drazdauskas 6yards out from goal, but the striker rushed his opportunity and lifted the ball over the bar. It looked as Redcar Athletic were going to take all 3 points back to Teesside but 3 minutes into injury time Adam Preston's left his foot in on a challenge and Sunderland West End were awarded a free kick 35 yards out from goal on the right. Nathan Burreell fired a "Hail Mary" ball high into the crowded penalty area and redcar Athletic's SAM WEBSTER rose highest but could only back head it over everbody into the far left hand corner of his own net. Seconds after the kick off the referee blew for full-time giving Redcar Athletic no chance to restore their lead, showing how cruel football can be sometimes, but then again it can also be said the result was fair on reflection of the entire game.

Match Photo's

Match Stats

Starting Line Up

DF David Abel
DF Joe Bennett (46')
DF Chris Bivens
DF Stuart Browne
DF Jordan Kirk
MD Jordan Rivis
MD Lance Skelton (71')
MD Sam Webster
MD Michael Woodhouse


DF Luke Woodall
MD Mitchell Morris (88')
MD Jack Simpson
ST Dan Drazdauskas (71')
ST Adam Preston (46')